Hi everybody!
Happy Halloween!!!
Back to what we did this week- as regards grammar- we've been looking at "Quantifiers"
GRAMMAR
ARTICLES AND QUANTIFIERS
BOOK( COUNT.SING) )
a/an a book (an egg)
the The book
Some/any X
Much/many X
A lot of /lots of X
A few/ a little X
BOOKS ( COUNT- plural
a/an X
The books
Some/any books Many books
A few books
WATER (UNCOUNT.)
( a bottle of) water*
The water
Some/any water
a lot of/ lots of water
A little water
NB *Give me a (glass of) water
In affirmative spoken sentences, it’s better to use “a lot of/ lots of”
much/ many are very formal.
There are lots of/ a lot of students in the library. = There are many students in the library
There is a lot of/ lots of noise in this room! = There is much noise in this room!
It’s fine to use them in negatives and questions!
There aren’t many students in the library!
There isn’t much noise in this room.
Are there many students in the library?
USE OF "no"
There aren't ANY teachers here! = There are NO teachers here!
There isn't ANY milk left! = There is NO milk left!
Then we looked at the use of USED TO
Used to + infinitive
Talk about past states and actions that happened many times
I used to be a teacher (= now I’m not a teacher!)
I used to play tennis every day! (Now I don’t)
= I played tennis every day!
WHAT DID YOU USE TO DO AT WEEKENDS WHEN YOU WERE YOUNG?
I USED TO GO TO CHURCH ON SUNDAYS!
I DIDN’T USE TO GO TO THE DISCO!
BY the way here are the lyrics to the song!
Bang bang you shot me down
Bang bang I hit the ground
Bang bang that awful sound
Bang bang my baby shot me down
I was five and you were six
We rode on horses made of sticks
I wore black you wore white
You would always win the fight
Bang bang you shot me down
Bang bang I hit the ground
Bang bang that awful sound
Bang bang my baby shot me down
Seasons came and changed the time
I grew up I called you mine
You would always laugh and say
Remember when we used to play
Bang bang you shot me down
Bang bang I hit the ground
Bang bang that awful sound
Bang bang my baby shot me down
Music played and people sang
Just for me the church bells rang
After echoes from a gun
We both vowed that we'd be one
Now you're gone I don't know why
Sometimes I cry
You didn't say good bye
You didn't take the time to lie
Bang bang you shot me down
Bang bang I hit the ground
Bang bang that awful sound
Bang bang my baby shot me down !
See you next week!
SAllyD
Iscriviti a:
Commenti sul post (Atom)
Nessun commento:
Posta un commento