lab 2
LAST WEEK WE LOOKED AT HOW TO DESCRIBE PEOPLE:
Describing people
General description
What’s she like?
She’s short with blonde hair and very nice!
Appearance
What does she look like?
She’s short with blonde hair
Preferences and interests
What does she like?
She likes reading and listening to music!
We started looking at PHRASAL VERBS:
Verb + particle
to run into; to stop off; to set out; to give up; to get by ; to bring together
Remember you NEED to learn these words off by heart!
We looked at the Present Perfect used to talk about experience and unfinished time:
Remember TYPICAL TIME EXPRESSIONS WITH PAST SIMPLE (YESTERDAY, LAST WEEK, WHEN, LAST WEEK ETC.)
PRESENT PERFECT - SINCE, YET, , JUST , ALREADY
PRESENT PERFECT SIMPLE (1. For experience) the time is not important!
S AUX (HAVE) PAST PARTICIPLE
I ‘ve (have) had many different jobs in my life!
NEGATIVE
S AUX (HAVE)+ not PAST PARTICIPLE
I haven’t been to the United States but I have been to Canada.
QUESTION
AUX (HAVE) S PAST PARTICIPLE ?
Have you ever been to New York? Have you ever eaten sushi?
Short answers
Yes, I have / No, I haven’t. No, never! (I’ve never been to France!)
We are talking about the experience NOT when it happened. CFR
I’ve met Madonna! I met her two years ago.
PRESENT PERFECT SIMPLE (JUST(appena)
John and Sue have JUST arrived.
I’ve JUST had lunch!
ALREADY (già) (affirmative sentences usually)
Jim has already gone to bed. They have already arrived!
YET (negatives and questions) NB its position.
I haven’t finished yet! ( non ancora)
Have you been to see the new film yet?
PRESENT PERFECT SIMPLE (1. since)
The present perfect expresses unfinished states that began in the past and continue into the present.
How long have you been a teacher? I’VE BEEN A TEACHER SINCE 1980./ FOR 29 YEARS.
HOW LONG HAVE YOU LIVED IN ca? I’VE LIVED IN CA SINCE 1982/FOR 27 Years.
Speaking
• All the things you did this morning
• Some boring things you did last weekend
• The worst foods you’ve ever eaten
• A mistake you’ ve made in your life
• The most exhausting thing you did yesterday
• Something you’ve just done
• Something you’ve never done (but would like to)
• The last thing you bought
ESP
We talked about describing objects in the past:
in particular : THE ROSETTA STONE, HORNEDJITEF'S MUMMY, THE GIANT SCARAB BEETLE.
GRAMMAR
PAST SIMPLE
PASSIVE (it was discovered, it was found etc.)
If you like write a description of an object. Remember KEEP IT SIMPLE!!!!!!
SallyD
Nessun commento:
Posta un commento