FUTURE
FUTURE PLANS (!)
We use am/is/are going to + infinitive and the PRESENT CONTINOUS to talk about plans in the future.
We are going to watch TV this evening!
Are you going to eat all that chocolate?
I’m not going to drink any wine at the party tonight!
(I decided to do something) I’m going to buy a new car! FUTURE (I do it)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You use the PRESENT CONTINUOUS for arrangements, dates, appointments etc.
MY DIARY
MONDAY TENNIS 3PM
TUESDAY MEETING WITH JOHN
WEDNESDAY LUNCH WITH SUE
I’m playing tennis at 3pm on Monday. (I’m going to play….
I’m meeting John on Tuesday. (I’m going to meet…
I’m having lunch with Sue on Wednesday. (I’m going to have….)
NB It’s not wrong to use the “going to” form in all these sentences but the PRESENT CONTINUOUS is more common!
Also with “go” and “come” we often prefer NOT to use the “going to “ form:
(I’m going to go to London this summer) I’m going to London this summer!
(They’re going to come to my party at the weekend ) becomes
They’re coming to my party at the weekend.
FUTURE 2 (WILL)
WILL is a modal. Will for all forms!
He will (he’ll phone you tomorrow!)
(-) She will not (won’t)
(?) Will you?
Will (‘ll) + infinitive when we decide something at the moment of speaking! or when we offer to do something! NOT for those already decided (going to/ present continuous)
Quite often we introduce the expression with “ I think/ I don’t think)
a) It’s cold in here! I’ll close the window!
b) The phone’s ringing! I’ll answer it!
c) I need some exercise. I think I’ll go for a walk:
Your granny says. “My bag is really heavy!”
You say: “I’ll carry it for you!” (offer decided at that moment!)
NB In Italian, you often use the present simple!
English: I’ll phone you tomorrow cfr Italian “I phone you!”
Cfr
Did you phone Susan?
No, I’m going to call her later! ( already decided!)
No, I forgot. I’ll call her later! (decided now!)
Will/won’t (predictions) See modals!)
Things that we are sure will happen in the future
WILL (PREDICTIONS) or merely to talk of the future NOT plans or future intentions, arrangements. We often start with “I think /I don’t think)
(I think/I don’t’ think) it’ll rain tomorrow.
(I think/I don’t’ think) everybody will drive electric cars in the future.
A :(I think) she’ll come to the party.
B: I think she won’t.
We use will when we feel sure that these things will or won’t happen! When we are less sure, we use MAY/MIGHT
It’ll rain tomorrow. Cp It may rain tomorrow.
Verb patterns
INFINiTIVE WITH “TO”
A) GOING TO WOULD LIKE TO USED TO
WANT TO HOPE TO PLAN TO
DECIDE TO OFFER TO PROMISE TO
REFUSE TO INTEND TO
INFINITIVE WITHOUT “TO”
A) AFTER AUXILIARIES AND MODALS
DO, DOES, DID
CAN, COULD, MAY, MIGHT, WOULD, ETC
FORM IN +ING
A) ENJOY STOP FINISH LIKE/LOVE*
MIND
But remember
I’d love to come to your party! Would you like to have a coffee!
After a preposition ( at/of/ with etc. ) use the * ing form
I’m thinking OF getting a new phone.
John’ s looking forward TO going to France.
John wasn’t interested in meeting the film star.
Why don't you write and tell me about the last time you went to the cinema/ the last book you read!!
SAllyD
Iscriviti a:
Commenti sul post (Atom)
Nessun commento:
Posta un commento