sabato 7 novembre 2009

Lessons from week 5

Frequency adverbs and phrases

Always
Usually
Often
Sometimes
Rarely
Never

Position in the Present Simple:
S adverb V
She always arrives late. He often goes to the cinema.
They rarely eat meat.

With the verb “to be”
S “to be” adverb
She is sometimes late.
They are often hungry.

Expressions indicating frequency go at the end of the sentence or at the beginning.
Once a month, Twice a week, three times a day.
We have English classes three times a week.
Three times a week, we have English lessons
.

How often do you have English classes?



Stative verbs
These are verbs which we cannot normally use in the Continuous form
e.g.
like love know cost mean understand want agree belong seem matter
Careful with verbs like “think”
What are you doing?
I’m thinking about my boyfriend! (ACTION)
What do you think of Italian politicians?
I think they are ………! (OPINION = STATIVE VERB)


MODAL VERBS

Will Shall
May might
Would should
Can could

Must ought to*

Modal verbs are followed by an infinitive without “to” (Exception “ought to”) The form is the same for all persons.
Eg, CAN in all forms ( NB he, she, it can)
(-) add NOT
I, you, he/she/it, we, you, they cannot (can’t) come
(?) Inversion
Can you swim?
Can you come to my party?

CAN
I know how to do something OR I am able to do something
Can you speak English? Can you hear me?
I can swim. I can’t sleep. I’m not tired.

PAST TENSE
CAN = COULD CAN’T = COULDN’T
WHEN I WAS YOUNG, I COULD/ COULDN’T RIDE A BIKE!
I WAS TIRED LAST NIGHT BUT I COULDN’T SLEEP.

REQUESTS.

Can you open the window, please?
Could you open the window, please
? MORE FORMAL.
COULD I HAVE SOME INFORMATION PLEASE?


FUTURE

FUTURE PLANS (!)

We use am/is/are going to + infinitive and the PRESENT CONTINUOUS to talk about plans in the future.

We are going to watch TV this evening!
Are you going to eat all that chocolate?
I’m not going to drink any wine at the party tonight!

(I decided to do something) I’m going to buy a new car! FUTURE (I do it)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You use the PRESENT CONTINUOUS for arrangements, dates, appointments etc.

MY DIARY
MONDAY TENNIS 3PM
TUESDAY MEETING WITH JOHN
WEDNESDAY LUNCH WITH SUE


I’m playing tennis at 3pm on Monday. (I’m going to play….
I’m meeting John on Tuesday. (I’m going to meet…
I’m having lunch with Sue on Wednesday. (I’m going to have….)

NB It’s not wrong to use the “going to” form in all these sentences but the PRESENT CONTINUOUS is more common!
Also with “go” and “come” we often prefer NOT to use the “going to “ form:
(I’m going to go to London this summer) I’m going to London this summer!
(They’re going to come to my party at the weekend ) becomes
They’re coming to my party at the weekend.


Don't forget to tryand practice talking about your future plans!
Why not write them on the blog?

SAllyD

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento