martedì 15 dicembre 2009

You can!!!! This is what we did do during the lessons and what you are expected to know both for the written and oral exam!



THINGS YOU CAN DO!
Simple Present tense:
Talk about yourself and your family.
(Name, age, job, where you live, your parents etc.)
Likes and dislikes.
Describe your house, home town. (There is/there are)(Lots of, much, many)
Talk about the things you do every day. (usually, often, etc,)
Describe your favourite things (film, books, etc.)
Compare two things using comparatives.
Talk about a plane journey.
Describe a picture (There is/ There are) on the left, on the right
Ask for the meaning of a word or spelling in English.
(What’s …… in English? How do you spell……..?)
Ask for a description of something using “What’s…………….like?”

Simple Past Tense
Say what you did yesterday, at the weekend.
Say what you used to do when you were a child. What did you use to do on Sundays when you were a child?
Talk about your school. (Specializing in scientific subjects) Grammar school

Describe a wedding you went to.
Talk about a hotel you stayed in.
Talk about visiting your country.
Talk about a holiday or festival



Future
(1) Going to/present continuous: talk about your plans for the immediate future, (after the lesson, next weekend);
Plans for next holidays; Plans for after your degree.
(2) will (may, might) : to make predictions, say what you think might happen in the future
(3) Will : to talk about a future decided at the moment of speaking (I’ll answer it! I’ll carry it!)


Present Continuous
(1) Say what you are doing at the moment (I’m listening to the radio!)
(2) + Future Adverb (future arrangements: I’m playing tennis at 3 tomorrow)
(3) Say what you are wearing

Past Continuous
(1) Say what you were doing at a certain time in the past. (I was watching TV at 6pm yesterday.)
(2) Describe an action that was happening which was interrupted.
(I was making dinner when the phone rang.)
While I was making dinner, the phone rang.




Present Perfect
(1) To talk about your past experiences
“Have you ever been to Paris!” “No. never! Yes, twice!”
(Don’t forget that we do not use the Present Perfect to talk about definite time in the past ( I went to Paris in 1994 and 1996!)
(2) With already/just/ yet
This morning I’ve already done the washing up!
He’s just been to the swimming pool!
Have you done your homework yet?
I haven’t bought any Christmas presents yet!
(3) To talk about states that began in the past and continue. (with SINCE and sometimes with FOR)
How long have you had a car?
I’ve had it SINCE 2006/ For 3 years.
(Remember finished actions PAST SIMPLE)
I lived in Paris FOR three years. I now live in London!
(4) Unfinished time; for example with expressions like “ in the last few months, this week, since last year, ). NB these expressions are connected to the present. CP last week, two years ago, yesterday which express a FINISHED period of time! Use past simple!
I’ve been to the cinema twice this month!(To say what you have done recently!)
(5) To say where you have been !
I’ve BEEN to Paris.
To talk about where someone else is.
John’s not here . He’s gone to lunch!






PASSIVE
(1) To talk about where things are made/ / where a TV show is filmed (present time) etc.
“Fiat cars are made in Italy.
The show is filmed in Cinecitta!”

(2) To talk about who wrote a book, directed a film, painted a picture.etc.
This book was written by …..
This film was directed by…….
This picture was painted by….

(3) To ask and say where/when you were born.
Where were you born?
I was born in Cagliari.


Remember you can also ask “Who wrote Hamlet? Who directed Titanic?”

Use passive when you are describing your favourite book, etc.!








MODALS
CAN/ COULD

(1) Say what you can or know how to do. (Present and past)
(I can swim; I could ride a bike when I was 5)
(2) Make requests.
Can I have some information, please?
Could I have some information, please?

(3) Can – to give permission
You can start writing now.
(4) To deny permission
You can’t smoke in here.
(5) To say something wasn’t possible in the past.
I couldn’t stay out all night when I was a child.

WILL
(1) USED FOR THE FUTURE (predictions : it will rain tomorrow, it won’t be cold!
(2) To make an offer (I’ll carry it for you!)
(3) Something that you decide at that moment.
It’s cold! I’ll close the window!

WOULD
(1) Invite someone to do something.
(Would you like something to drink? Would you like to go to the cinema?
(2) To make a request (I’d like a bottle of water, please!)


SHALL
(1) To make a suggestion
(Shall we go to the cinema?)
Alternatives: why don’t we go; what/how about going; let’s go


MAY /MIGHT
(1) May – a very formal way of asking to do something
(May I sit here? May I open the window!)
(2) May-might - to express possibility or probability in the future
It may/might rain tomorrow.


SHOULD
(1) To give advice to someone
“My head hurts!” “ You should take an aspirin!”
Alternatives: If I were you, I’d take an aspirin!
Why don’t you take an aspirin?
What about taking an aspirin?

MUST
(1) To express rules or things that are necessary.
“You must wear a hard hat on the building site”.
(Remember we often use “have to” to express rules and regulations)
Also for questions!
Why do we have to study English?
(2) To make a strong suggestion
“You must read that book! It’s great”

MUSTN’T
(1) To deny permission
“You mustn’t cross the road when the traffic light is red!”

***(DON’T/didn’t HAVE TO)
Remember this is not the opposite of MUST.
We mean that something is NOT necessary (but it is possible or allowed)
You don’t have to read “Hamlet” for the lab. course! (You can if you want to!)

HAD TO
The past tense of MUST.
Yesterday I had to study because I have an exam today.

Use these to:

Say what you had to/didn’t have to/couldn’t do when you were a child.
Talk about rules in general!


Other things

How and what questions
Numbers/dates
Used to
Some/any/no/ lots of/ a lot of/ much / many/ a few/ a little/ too much/ too many / enough
Prepositions –place ( behind/ between/ near/ far/not far from/ next to/opposite/ in front of/ at the corner of/ on/ in/ at
Frequency adverbs
Expressions like “It depends; I haven’t decided yet; Great idea; I’d love to but…….; I’m afraid that…….; I’m sorry but…..; of course; sure; certainly; see you later, see you soon.
Prepositions of time ( in, on, at)
Infinitive of purpose ( I went to Rome to see the Colosseum!)
Verb patterns (I hope to; I can go; I’m looking forward to going to Paris)
Comparatives/ Superlatives (Modify adjectives – a bit, quite, fairly, very, really, extremely)
Relative clauses (Who (people) which (things) that (people and things)
Present used in future clauses (if + pres., will…….) also with “as soon as, before, until, when)


Will put the results to the latest test on the blog asap! (as soon as possible)!

For now I'd like to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year!

SAllyD

PS don't forget the lesson on 12th January at 14.oo in room 8a; please come with suggestions as to what you didn't understand or need help with! SD

PPS REMEMBER TO ENROL FOR THE TEST!

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento