How are you all? Studying hard I hope!!!!
ESP
COLOUR AND LIGHT IN THE MUSEUM ENVIRONMENT
Not an easy topic!!!
Remember we tried to give a definition to
WHAT IS A MUSEUM?
A place which 1) assembles collections of objects
2) displays these objects to the public ( teaching too)
3) safeguard these objects for future generations (think DODO!!!)
4) allows the objects to be used for study!
We also had a look at the different kinds of museums - remember museums are not just
Archaeological and Art!!!
The article itself talked about light and colour!
Remember that correct lighting in a museum environment must
1) try and reproduce the original settings, to allow viewers to appreciate what effect the artist was trying to create.
2) not damage the painting in any way.
We also tried to do a CLOZE test on the British Musuem, we'll continue with this on Tuesday! The next article and the last (phew!!! ) is THE TOMB OF SENNEFERI -EXCAVATION PAGE 223.
LAB 2
We were looking at various expressions for talking about LUCK and things which are considered LUCKY/UNLUCKY.
I’m going to take a difficult exam tomorrow! Good luck!
I passed my driving test first time! Beginner’s luck!
I really want strawberry ice cream but they have just sold out! You’re out of luck!
I failed my exam by just one mark! Hard luck!
I always cheat in exams – my teacher has never noticed! You’re pushing your luck!
I wanted to work with Petra but the teacher told me to work with Ann. THE LUCK OF THE DRAW!
I don’t think I’m good enough to enter this competition! Go on! Try your luck!
GRAMMAR
PAST CONTINUOUS/PROGRESSIVE
FORM
Affirmative: Subject was/were V +ing
He was playing chess
Negative: Subject was/were + not V +ing
They weren’t listening to the teacher
Question: Was/were Subject V+ing
What were you doing at 10pm last night?
USE
I was watching TV at 10pm last night.
10pm
PAST_____________________x________________________________NOW
I was watching TV
Action IN PROGRESS in the past. Incomplete cp PAST SIMPLE for completed actions. (WE decided TO GO TO THE CINEMA!)
Past continuous often suggests the longer action (background action!)
While John was having a shower, the postman rang the bell!
We also looked at ways of asking someone to do something and asking for permission to do something.
IN ORDER OF FORMALITY
CAN I USE YOUR PHONE?
COULD I SEE YOUR NEWSPAPER?
IS IT ALL RIGHT /OK IF I SIT HERE?
DO YOU THINK I COULD OPEN THE WINDOW?
DO YOU MIND IF I BORROW YOUR PAPER?
I WONDER IF I COULD USE YOUR BATHROOM?
CAN YOU OPEN THE WINDOW?
COULD YOU LEND ME A PEN?
DO YOU THINK YOU COULD HELP ME WITH MY HOMEWORK?
DO YOU MIND (+ ING ) OPENING THE WINDOW?
WOULD YOU MIND (+ ING) CLOSING THE DOOR?
ANSWERS.
YES OF COURSE/SURE/CERTAINLY.
NO + REASON EG.
COULD YOU LEND ME A PEN?
SORRY, BUT I NEED IT!
CAN I USE YOUR PHONE?
Sorry, it's not working!
THEN WE LOOKED AT THE USE OF BOTH/NEITHER
BOTH AND NEITHER ARE USED TO COMPARE TWO PEOPLE OR THINGS.
BOTH is positive BOTH OF THEM HAVE TWO CHILDREN.
(THEY BOTH HAVE TWO CHILDREN).
i.e. SHE HAS A CHILD AND HE HAS A CHILD.
NEITHER is negative . NEITHER OF THEM HAS A CAR.
i.e. SHE DOESN’T HAVE A CAR AND HE DOESN’T HAVE A CAR.
BOTH + PLURAL VERB + AND
BOTH JOHN AND MIKE COME(plural) FROM IRELAND.
i.e. John comes from Ireland and Mike comes from Ireland.
NEITHER + SINGULAR VERB + NOR
Neither SUE NOR JIM COMES(singular) FROM FRANCE!
ie. Susan doesn't come from France; Jim doesn't come from France!
For homework you have to write comnparisons between two people using BOTH AND NEITHER.
See you next week!
SAllyD
Nessun commento:
Posta un commento