sabato 24 aprile 2010

lessons 20-22 April

Hello there!
Hope you are enjoying the rain!!! This is British weather!!!!

last week:

ESP

The article was about "EXCAVATION AT SENNEFER'S TOMB"

Relative pronouns

who . people

That's the girl who lives down the road.

which : objects/things

I live in a house which has a big garden.

where= place

I live in the town where Marco Carta was born!

Remember that from next week we will be revising and preparing for the test! So if you have any questions...........!



lab 2

We looked at the use of the Past Continuous

PAST SIMPLE AND PAST CONTINUOUS

FORM
Affirmative: Subject was/were V +ing
He was playing chess
Negative: Subject was/were + not V +ing
They weren’t listening to the teacher
Question: Was/were Subject V+ing
What were you doing at 10pm last night?


USE
I was watching TV at 10pm last night.
10pm
PAST_____________________x________________________________NOW
I was watching TV

1. Action IN PROGRESS in the past. Incomplete cp PAST SIMPLE for completed actions. (WE decided TO GO TO THE CINEMA!)
Past continuous often suggests the longer action (background action!)
when
While John was having a shower, the postman rang the bell!


THEN WE ALSO LOOKED AT THE VERY UNPOPULAR PAST PERFECT!!!


PAST PERFECT SIMPLE

FORM


AFFIRMATIVE Subject Aux. had Past participle
We had been
NEGATIVE Subject Aux. had + NOT Past participle
They Hadn’t Seen
QUESTION : HAD SUBJECT PAST PARTICIPLE ?
What had she done?

USE
Completed actions in the PAST that happened BEFORE other actions!
When Mark arrived, Ann HAD (already) MADE THE COFFEE.

(1. Ann made the coffee.
(2. THEN Mark arrived.)



Cp HE HAD (ALREADY) GRADUATED WHEN HE GOT MARRIED.
(1. HE GRADUATED 2. THEN HE GOT MARRIED.
HE HAD GOT MARRIED WHEN HEGRADUATED.
(1. HE GOT MARRIED 2. THEN HE GRADUATED)



We then looked at comparisons with both/neither



BOTH AND NEITHER ARE USED TO COMPARE TWO PEOPLE OR THINGS.

BOTH is positive
BOTH OF THEM HAVE TWO CHILDREN. (THEY BOTH HAVE TWO CHILDREN).
ie SHE HAS A CHILD AND HE HAS A CHILD.

NEITHER is negative .
NEITHER OF THEM HAS A CAR.
ie SHE DOESN’T HAVE A CAR AND HE DOESN’T HAVE A CAR.

BOTH + PLURAL VERB + AND
BOTH JOHN AND MIKE COME FROM IRELAND.


NEITHER + SINGULAR VERB + NOR
Neither SUE NOR JIM COMES FROM FRANCE
!


Then we saw the functional language to talk about similarities and differences





SIMILARITIES (BEGIN WITH SO/NEITHER AND USE THE SAME AUXILIARY VERB).
IN NEGATIVE SENTENCES MAKE IT POSITIVE.

I’M FEELING HAPPY. SO AM I
I HAVE A DOG. SO HAVE I
I’M NOT HAPPY. NEITHER AM I (positive verb)
JOHN WASN’T IN ROME. NEITHER WAS SUsan.(positive)
JOHN DOESN’T LIKE PIZZA. Neither do I

STATEMENTS WITH NO AUXILIARY VERB
I LIKE PIZZA. SO DO I
I went to FRANCE. SO DID JOHN!


DIFFERENCES
NO SO OR NEITHER. PRONOUN + AUX. VERB(OPPOSITE!)

I CAN’T SPEAK FRENCH. I CAN!
I’M NOT TIRED! I AM!
NO AUX. VERB USE AUX. DO
I LIKE
PIZZA! I DON’T
JOHN DOESN’T HAVE A CAR! SHE DOES!
THEY ARRIVED EARLY! YOU DIDN’T
HE DIDN’T BUY A TICKET! I DID!



Finally the very unpopular Time linkers






1. WHILE/AS/WHEN
TWO ACTIONS HAPPEN AT THE SAME TIME

THE PHONE RANG WHILE/AS/WHEN I WAS WATCHING A FILM.
PHONE RANG
-------------------------------x-------------------------------------------
I WAS WATCHING A FILM

2. THE MOMENT/ AS SOON AS/WHEN
ACTION HAPPENS IMMEDIATELY AFTER ANOTHER.



I CHANGED MY SHOES THE MOMENT/ AS SOON AS/WHEN I GOT HOME.
1. I GOT HOME (IMMEDIATELY)
2. I CHANGED MY SHOES .


3. BY THE TIME

ONE ACTION HAS HAPPENED BEFORE ANOTHER (past perfect)

I had eaten all the cakes by the time they arrived!
1. I ate all the cakes (then)
2. They arrived


See you on Tuesday!

SAllyD

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento