Hello everyone!
ESP
Well , lessons have come to a close! WE've finished revising the six articles and all that remains is the test! If you have any other questions don't hesitate to contact me either by email sdavies@unica.it or during office hours!
lab 2
We looked at different ways of talking about the future : will/going to/ present prog.
Here's the grammar:
FUTURE
FUTURE PLANS (!)
We use am/is/are going to + infinitive to talk about plans in the future; things you definitely you want to but haven’t made a definite arrangement for yet. .
We are going to watch TV this evening!
Are you going to eat all that chocolate?
I’m not going to drink any wine at the party tonight!
(I decided to do something) I’m going to buy a new car! FUTURE (I do it)
N.B- with “go” and “come” we often prefer NOT to use the “going to “ form:
(I’m going to go to London this summer) I’m going to London this summer!
(They’re going to come to my party at the weekend ) becomes
They’re coming to my party at the weekend.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
You use the PRESENT CONTINUOUS for arrangements, dates, appointments etc. Already decided.
MY DIARY
MONDAY TENNIS 3PM
TUESDAY MEETING WITH JOHN
WEDNESDAY LUNCH WITH SUE
I’m playing tennis at 3pm on Monday. (I’m going to play….
I’m meeting John on Tuesday. (I’m going to meet…
I’m having lunch with Sue on Wednesday. (I’m going to have….)
FUTURE 2 (WILL)
WILL is a modal. Will for all forms!
Affirmative He will (he’ll phone you tomorrow!)
(-) She will not (won’t)
(?) Will you?
Will is used to talk about the future when you haven’t made any plans or arrangements. Often used with probably, possibly or perhaps
I haven’t decided about my summer holidays yet, I’ll probably go to London.
PREDICTIONS
BOTH WILL AND BE GOING TO CAN BE USED TO MAKE PREDICTIONS
We’ll definitely visit the British Museum when we’re in London.
We’re definitely going to visit the British Museum when we’re in London.
Use be going to when you have present evidence for the prediction.
It’s going to rain. ( black clouds!)
I’m going to be late. ( The lesson begins at 9am and you are still on the bus!)
Then we looked at the use of the present in future time clauses!
PRESENT TENSES TO TALK ABOUT FUTURE TIME
If clauses and present tense (First conditional sentences)
If + present tense , future or
Future if + present tense
If it rains, we’ll stay at home. WE’ll stay at home if it rains.
If I don’t pass the exam, I’ll be very unhappy.
We’ll stay at home if it rains.
He won’t come to the party if he doesn’t feel well!
also when/before/after/until/as soon as/once in phrases referring to the future use the Present Simple
When I arrive, I’ll phone you.
Before she leaves, she’ll lock all the doors.
I’ll call you after I get to the hotel.
I won’t call you until I get to the hotel.
I’ll do my homework as soon as I get home.
Once I pass my test, I’ll buy a new car.
NB WE can use the Present perfect instead of the Present if we want to emphasize the completion of a future action
Once we have received/receive the money, we’ll send you the book!
When we have seen all the exhibits in the museum , we’ll go to the bar.
If/when/As soon as/ Subject Present simple Subject will /can/ could/should
Before / Once / until OR
Present perfect
If I see her, I’ll tell her.
If you’ve finished, you could help me with the dinner.
As soon as he arrives, we should/will make the dinner.
Before you leave, you should call your mum!
WE've also started to look at indirect questions!
Please remember that on Tuesday and Wednesday next week there will be a revision lesson from 13.45 - 14.45.
Keep your eyes on this space for the answers to the second test!
SAllyD
Iscriviti a:
Commenti sul post (Atom)
Nessun commento:
Posta un commento