Well we're in the home run so next week will be the final countdown!!!!
Please note that lessons will be at 14.30 on Tuesday and Wednesday and proably 15 on Thursday /the latter to be confirmed!)
What did we do last week?
INDIRECT QUESTIONS
USE INDIRECT QUESTIONS TO SOUND POLITE
BEGIN WITH AN INTRODUCTION:
Do you know ,,,,,,?
Can you tell me……..?
Could you tell me…..?
Do you think you could tell me…..?
I wonder……….?
I’d like to know………
NOTE ; in the second part we use an affirmative NOT a question,
WHAT TIME DOES THE TRAIN LEAVE? The train leaves
Can you tell me what time the train leaves? NOT
CAN YOU TELL ME What time does the train arrive? NO!
YES/NO QUESTION use IF /WHETHER
Can I book a double room?
I’D LIKE TO KNOW WHETHER /IF I CAN BOOK A DOUBLE ROOM?
Do you like pizza?
I wonder if you like pizza.
Where are you from?
Do you have any brothers or sisters?
Can you come to my party on Saturday?
Where’s the nearest bank?
How much is a ticket to London?
I wonder where you are from.
if/whether you have any brothers or sisters?
if/whether you can come
where the nearest bank is
how much a ticket to London is
PRESENT PERFECT CONTINUOUS
FORM
S. + Aux have+ been V +ing
AFFIRMATIVE I’VE BEEN
He’s been WAITING FOR TWO HOURS
NEGATIVE I HAVEN’T BEEN LIVING HERE LONG.
QUESTION HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN STUDYING ENGLISH?
I’ve lived/I’ve been/I’ve seen
USE
ACTIONS STARTED IN THE PAST WHICH CONTINUE
I’VE BEEN LIVING HERE FOR 10 YEARS. (I STILL LIVE HERE)
FOR + TIME EXPRESSION = LENGTH OF TIME
I’VE BEEN STUDYING ENGLISH FOR 10 YEARS/FOR A LONG TIME/ FOR AGES
SINCE + TIME EXPRESSION = STARTING POINT
I’VE BEEN LIVING HERE SINCE SEPTEMBER/2000/I WAS A BOY.
QUESTIONS WITH “how long,,,,”?
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN WAITING?
Do not use the Present perfect continuous with stative verbs.
I’ve been here since January NOT
I’ve been being here since January. NO
I’ve liked that song for ages!!!
ACTION IN PROGRESS RECENTLY WHICH MAY OR MAY NOT STILL BE IN PROGRESS.
I’VE BEEN SWIMMING IN THE RIVER! (YOU’RE ALL WET!)
I’VE BEEN RUNNING! (You’re all sweaty!)
To emphasise the duration of action
I’ve been writing letters all day!!!
NB:
Present perfect is used to talk about the result of action or single completed actions.
I’ve written 2o letters today.
They’ve just ordered a cake for her birthday.
She’s cut her finger!
Typical expressions with the Present perfect Continuous
How long have you been waiting/ living here/ working here/ doing that?
Have you been waiting/ living here/ working here/ doing that long?
What have you been doing?
I’ve been studying/ waiting/ living here/ working here/ doing this since 9 o’clock/ last week/last month/since last year.
Other common verbs
Getting/making (progress/ enquiries/ plans), thinking/trying/ expecting especially (I’ve been expecting you!)
Since tells you when things Started
Since for
I left school about three hours
Two weeks ago ages
Last July the whole summer
New year’s Day months and months
I arrived in the town many years
I met you
Last winter
I was born
SHOULD
To ask for and give advice
What should I do?
You should take an aspirin.
You shouldn’t eat too much chocolate.
NB the form “if I were you, I’d…..”
If I were you, I’d buy a new car.
Why don’t you + infinitive
Why don’t you go to the doctor?
STRONGEST
YOU SHOULD/SHOULDN’T STRONGEST
I DON’T THINK YOU SHOULD
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO IS……
IF I WERE YOU, I’D………….
WHY DON’T YOU…………….?
Have you tried……………?
WHAT ABOUT………………ING?
HAVE YOUT THOUGHT ABOUT….?
THERE’S NO HARM IN……? WEAKEST
If clauses and the Past Simple
The Past Simple corresponds to the Italian Subjunctive, while in the other part of the sentence we have “would” = conditional.
Imaginary or unlikely situations.
IF + Past Simple, would ……
…. would…………….if + past Simple.
If I knew the answer, I’d tell you. I’d tell you if I knew the answer.
If I won the lottery, I’d buy a big house.
WE ALSO LOOKED AT EXPRESSIONS WITH "what a big dog!"
" What beautiful eyes!"
That's enough I think!!
SAllyD
Nessun commento:
Posta un commento