domenica 14 novembre 2010

lessons 10 November

Hi there,
Well last week we started looking at the Future!


FUTURE

FUTURE PLANS (!)

We use am/is/are going to + infinitive and the PRESENT CONTINUOUS to talk about plans in the future.

We are going to watch TV this evening!
Are you going to eat all that chocolate?
I’m not going to drink any wine at the party tonight
!

(I decided to do something) I’m going to buy a new car! FUTURE (I do it)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You use the PRESENT CONTINUOUS for arrangements, dates, appointments etc.

MY DIARY
MONDAY TENNIS 3PM
TUESDAY MEETING WITH JOHN
WEDNESDAY LUNCH WITH SUE


I’m playing tennis at 3pm on Monday. (I’m going to play….
I’m meeting John on Tuesday. (I’m going to meet…
I’m having lunch with Sue on Wednesday. (I’m going to have….)


NB It’s not wrong to use the “going to” form in all these sentences but the PRESENT CONTINUOUS is more common!

Also with “go” and “come” we often prefer NOT to use the “going to “ form:
(I’m going to go to London this summer) I’m going to London this summer!
(They’re going to come to my party at the weekend ) becomes
They’re coming to my party at the weekend.






FUTURE 2 (WILL)
WILL is a modal. Will for all forms!
He will (he’ll phone you tomorrow!)
(-) She will not (won’t)
(?) Will you?


Will (‘ll) + infinitive when we decide something at the moment of speaking! or when we offer to do something! NOT for those already decided (going to/ present continuous)
Quite often we introduce the expression with “ I think/ I don’t think)

a) It’s cold in here! I’ll close the window!
b) The phone’s ringing! I’ll answer it!
c) I need some exercise. I think I’ll go for a walk:


Your granny says. “My bag is really heavy!”
You say: “I’ll carry it for you!” (offer decided at that moment!)
NB In Italian, you often use the present simple!
English: I’ll phone you tomorrow cfr Italian “I phone you!”
Cfr
Did you phone Susan?
No, I’m going to call her later! ( already decided!)
No, I forgot. I’ll call her later! (decided now!)


Will/won’t (predictions) See modals later!)
Things that we think will happen in the future

It'll rain tomorrow!
John won't pass his driving test!
Will everybody use electric cars in 2020?

We also looked at ways of INVITING/SUGGESTING


INVITATIONS AND SUGGESTIONS!
WOULD YOU LIKE SOMETHING TO DRINK? (invitation)
Would you like a coffee?
Shall we go to the cinema tonight? (Suggestion)
Would you like to go to the cinema? (invitation)

also

LET'S GO TO THE CINEMA!
WHY DON'T WE GO TO THE CINEMA?
WHAT ABOUT/HOW ABOUT GOING TO THE CINEMA

Answers!
OK, great idea.
I’d love to but I’m afraid I’m busy.

I'd rather go to the theatre!



WE then also looked at the use of Prepositions of time!





PREPOSITIONS OF TIME
IN
Month (in January, February) in the morning, the afternoon, the evening)
+ year ( in 2004, 2006…)
Season ( in summer, autumn)


ON + day(s) ( on Tuesday, on Wednesdays)
Date(s) (on 2nd June)
Monday morning, Tuesday afternoon

AT+ time ( at 1 o’clock, at lunchtime) at night at the weekend

Speaking.... Inviting someone and refusing or agreeing to do something, describing a hotel , describing a visit to Sardinia using "going to"


Now the results OF the two tests
A B
1. C B
2. B B
3. B B
4 C A
5 C D
6 C A
7 C A
8 A B
9 A C
10 C A
11 C A
12 C D
13 B C
14 D C
15 D C
16 A A
17 B C
18 B C
19 C C
20 C B
21 A A
22 C D
23 B C
24 A D
25 C B
26 A D
27 D C
28 B D
29 D A
30 D B
31 A C
32 C C
33 A A
34 A B
35 B A
36 A D
37 C D
38 A D
39 D D
40 B B
41 B C
42 A B
43 D D
44 C B
45 D D
46 C C
47 C A
48 A A
49 D A
50 A B
51 B B
52 C D
53 C B
54 D C
55 C D
56 ---- D (TEST A - no answer !)
57 D C
58 A B
59 D B
60 B C


Do feel cross if you get the questions on what we have done WRONG!! But don't feel blue if you don't do well as the test is on the whole syllabus!

See you next week!
SAllyD

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento